Sunday, October 24, 2010

Follow Me

You've decided, that from this point forward, you would walk on the path, the straight path. The path that goes all the way to the end, with not a turn or twist in it. That path. You begin to walk, for a time, on that path. Soon, you come to a fork. There are three paths, one to the right, one to the left, and one going straight. Aww, you think, The right one doesn't go to far away from this straight path. They're practically parallel. I'll go on that one. I can always come back here. Can't hurt. But they're not parallel, are they. That small shift makes a big difference. You walk along the path, humming, ignorant of the change. Soon you come to another fork, with one path to the left, one to the right, one continuing the path you're on. Aww, you think, the right path worked last time. No harm done. I'll go on that one. Can't hurt. But it does. You keep walking, ignorant of the changing scenery around you. You come to another fork, just like the others. Aww, you think, the right path seems to work great every time. I'll go on that one. Can't hurt. You walk briskly along, noting in the back of your mind how dark it seems to be all of a sudden. Right turn follows right turn, until suddenly you realize that it's pitch black and you have no idea where you are or how to get back to that first straight path you started on. You plunk down, confused and frighted. How did I get here? you think. I was practically parallel to that nice path. I only turned a few times. Suddenly you hear a little voice, either in your head or coming from the darkness around you. It says I brought you here. Isn't it lovely? I like you. And guess what? Because I like you, I will give you anything. Fame, glory, money, power, land, you name it. Anything. And I will always be with you. We can be pals. Buddies. Partners. This is the good path. You don't want what was on that first path. It was the boring path. The path for uninteresting, friendless nothings. With me you can go places. Be anything. You will have more friends than anyone else who's on that other path. I'm glad you chose this path instead. Otherwise you would have been nothing too, and we couldn't be friends. Great choice. I could use your help. Will you help me? I have important work. Please? You pause. I can have anything? you think. We can be partners, and I can help with this important work? It saved me from being a nothing. I'll say y- and then suddenly, a booming, melodious voice comes to you, piercing the darkness around you. It says I love you, my child. Come back to me. Why did you stray from me? I love you. Do not listen to the lies you are being told. Listen to the truths I am telling you. Come back and follow me. I will lead you all the way. Stray no more. Follow me, oh little one. Because I love you. You stand, turn to the left, and walk. You walk and walk and walk, until suddenly the darkness fades and you are in the light again, the beautiful, wonderful light. The straight path is below your feet. You dance along the path, singing for joy. At the next fork, you ask the voice which way to go, and hear only Follow me, my child. And so you continue on the straight path, the good path, the bright path. Then, without warning, you reach the end of the path, and there is the voice, but now it is not just a voice, it is a person, a person that is too wonderful to be a person, too magnificent to be a person, but it is a person. He has scars in his hands and in his feet, and you see another on his side. You fall down in fear and in wonder of this person who is not a person, this guiding, loving voice, this King. But He says to you, Stand up, my good and faithful servant. Well done, my child. For you have followed me. 

2 comments: